Mississippi Valley State University
In 1946, Mississippi Valley State University was originally created as Mississippi Vocational University by the Mississippi Legislature with the sole purpose of offering vocational instruction for training industrial workers and educators for teaching in small rural towns. The land in which the university was developed on was farmland, with construction completed by the summer of 1950. The first president of the university was Dr. James Herbert White. There were 205 in-service teachers enrolled in the first academic session, but only 14 students were enrolled for a full academic school year. The first graduating class was in 1952. Only two member of the first graduating class of 1952 remain; Lou Ella Welton (residing in Itta Bena, MS) and Wilarthur Williams (residing in Oakland, CA).
The university name was changed to Mississippi Valley State College in 1964 and then to Mississippi Valley State University in 1974 to broaden program offerings. To provide special higher education opportunities, by 1976, Mississippi Valley State University began offering graduate degree programs.
Today, there are various campus activities and organizations including the Marching Band, Orchestra, Student Government Association, English Club, Future Teachers of America, Trades and Industries Club, Greek Organizations and other athletic programs. Students may also work on the Delvian Yearbook or the student-run newspaper, the Delta Devil Gazette.
A message from Dr. Moses Newsome,
V.P. of Research, Planning, Community & Economic Development
Dr. James Herbert White (1950)
Dr. Earnest A. Boykins (1971)
Dr. Joe L. Boyer (1982)
Dr. William W. Sutton (1988)
Dr. Lester C. Newman (1998)
Donna H. Oliver, Ph.D.
Student Population: 3,091
Type of University: Public University
Historically Black College & University
School Colors: Kelly Green and White
Motto: "Working Together...Works!"
Mascot: Delta Devils